Website Climate Resolve
Reporting directly to the Executive Director while working closely with the Senior Operations Director, the Communications Manager at Climate Resolve will implement the media and communications activities for the organization. This position will support the organization’s advocacy and mobilizing activities that seek to reduce the effects of, and prepare Californians for the impacts of climate change. The Communications Manager will also support development initiatives, as well as maintain day-to-day communications channels on social media and periodic outreach via email and direct mail. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Communications Manager will generate and adhere to a workplan that will elevate Climate Resolve’s brand in the public sphere and grow the organization’s audience. The Communications Manager will work to ensure the organization’s online presence is consistent with its brand and mission.
Leadership & Management
- Implement media and communications efforts on a variety of Climate Resolve’s programmatic and development initiatives
- Assist the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Senior Operations Director with fulfillment of Climate Resolve’s communications responsibilities, reporting to the Executive Director on a biweekly basis while working closely with the Senior Operations Director on organizational initiatives
- Manage Climate Resolve’s in-house Graphics & Video Designer, as well as maintain the professional working relationship with the organization’s creative consultancy team.
- Onboard and manage Communications interns and fellows
- Develop and implement innovative media & marketing content in support of programmatic initiatives, such as factsheets, research reports, creative marketing campaigns, and social media posts (in tandem with Graphics & Video Designer)
- Maintain and create original content for the organization’s websites and social media outlets
- Act as lead liaison with creative consultant team to guide content development while maintaining a coherent narrative across the organization’s social media channels and website
- On a monthly basis, solicit newsworthy content from staff, draft, and disseminate email newsletter via organizational CRM (Raiser’s Edge / Online Express)
- Provide ED and SOD with regular reports on performance metrics of organizational content, such as open and engagement rates
- Draft and publish press releases for organizational initiatives, in collaboration with programmatic staff, as needed
- Prioritize winning earned media that amplifies Climate Resolve’s mission and name in the public sphere
- Contribute to ongoing development of guidelines for the organization’s brand look and feel
- Assist with media and communications related to fundraising activities and events, including web-based and direct mail fundraising appeals, in collaboration with the Senior Operations Director
- Alongside the Graphics & Video Designer, develop a distinct graphic identity annually for the organization’s fundraising Coolest in LA gala, shepherding the development of the event website and print materials
The Communications Manager will be thoroughly committed to Climate Resolve’s mission. All candidates should have proven experience that may include:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in communication, journalism, environmental science, urban sustainability, or related field
- At least three years of communications and/or public relations experience, preferably in the nonprofit and/or environmental sector
- Proven record of effectively executing programs-related communications, i.e. ability to translate a project into a story
- An ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Basic knowledge of WordPress, HTML, and CSS
- Working knowledge of an email marketing service, preferably Raiser’s Edge Online Express
- Capacity to handle and prioritize multiple assignments, working well under pressure; Important to be self-directed, flexible, and able to work under tight deadlines
- Adept at working effectively in a supportive, complementary, and collaborative fashion with diverse groups of people
- Experience supervising and managing paid staff, interns, and/or volunteers
- Commitment to equity and inclusion principles
- A congenial personality – can get along with others – and a sense of humor
- Master’s degree in communication, journalism, environmental science, urban sustainability, or related field
- Knowledge of climate change and related subject matter areas
- Familiarity with climate and environmental communication best practices
- Understanding of political landscape and media market of Los Angeles and California
- Experience working with Google AdWords and Facebook Ads
This is a Full-Time position (40 hrs/wk) with a matching 401K contribution, medical benefits, and a dental/vision stipend. Salary offered is $65-70,000 DOE. We encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, physical abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to apply; Climate Resolve is committed to a diverse workplace. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to Kristina von Hoffmann, Senior Operations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line
“Communications Manager” no later than Friday, August 6, 2021 at 5:00 pm PT.
Please include as an attachment (.pdf) a sample blog of 200 words or less detailing a current climate policy initiative in the Los Angeles region.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
About the Organization
Climate Resolve builds collaborations to champion equitable climate solutions. We connect communities, organizations, and policymakers to address a global problem with local action. We inclusively develop practical initiatives that reduce climate pollution and prepare for climate
impacts. Using our collective power to tackle climate change, we are creating a thriving California and inspiring others to act. Our purpose is a just and resilient future.
Climate Resolve staff share one important characteristic in common: a culture of praxis. We’re doers. While idealistic in nature, we are pragmatic in our approach to climate solutions. Climate Resolve recognizes the gravity of the climate crisis and that its effects are profound. We work to
avert its impacts, but we also see the opportunity for the climate crisis to inspire profound changes in society that will improve life in our cities and our world.
For more information, visit https://www.climateresolve.org/careers.