Deadline to apply: January 30, 2023 at 5pm (see further instructions below)
Climate Resolve builds collaborations to champion equitable climate solutions. We connect communities, organizations and policymakers to address a global problem with local action. We inclusively develop practical initiatives that reduce climate pollution and prepare for climate impacts. Using our collective power to tackle climate change, we are creating a thriving California and inspiring others to act. Our purpose is a just and resilient future.
Climate Resolve staff members share one important characteristic in common: a culture of praxis. We’re doers. While idealistic in nature, we are pragmatic in our approach to climate solutions. Climate Resolve recognizes the gravity of the climate crisis and that its effects are profound. We work to avert its impacts, but we also see the opportunity for the climate crisis to inspire profound changes in society that will improve life in our cities and our world.
Climate Resolve has prioritized working with communities that are most affected by climate change impacts. The residents of these communities are predominantly Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). Our work includes advocating in partnership with grassroots groups, assisting communities to obtain funding for climate solutions, and ensuring equitable implementation of climate legislation. By joining the Climate Resolve team, one is making a commitment to elevate racial, social, and environmental equity.
Climate Resolve is seeking a Communications Manager to oversee the organization’s external communications with its base. Reporting directly to the Deputy Director, the Communications Manager develops and implements the media and communications activities for the organization. This position contributes to an outreach strategy to support policy, project-based, and development initiatives, as well as maintain day-to-day communications channels on social media and periodic outreach via email. In collaboration with the Deputy Director, the Communications Manager generates and adheres to a workplan that will elevate Climate Resolve’s brand in the public sphere and grow the organization’s audience. The Communications Manager also works to ensure the organization’s online presence is consistent with its brand and mission. In order to ensure an effective culture of practice, the Communications Manager must be based in the Los Angeles region. Climate Resolve has begun to initiate a hybrid return-to-office policy, with 2 days of work onsite per week strongly encouraged. If you are looking for an exciting place to work, please take a look at the list of responsibilities and qualifications below:
Leadership & Management
- Implement communications and outreach efforts on a variety of Climate Resolve’s initiatives
- Manage the Graphics & Video Designer, co-manage (with Outreach staff) the Climate Corps Outreach & Communications Fellow, as well as any professional relationships with external creative consultants
- Assist the Deputy Director with fulfillment of organizational communications responsibilities, reporting to the Deputy Director on a biweekly basis
- Occasionally represent the organization in coalitions, public meetings, and public events
- Prioritize winning earned media that amplifies Climate Resolve’s mission and name in the public sphere
- Develop and implement innovative marketing activities
- Act as lead to manage content and maintenance of organization’s social media channels and website
- Manage, maintain, and create original content for the organization’s websites and social media outlets
- Manage and disseminate monthly email newsletter via organizational CRM (Raiser’s Edge)
- Research and write original articles and press releases, as needed
- Work with Deputy Director to integrate communications into all program-related workplans
- Contribute to developing guidelines for the organization’s brand look and feel
- Suggest how existing programs can elevate their unique communications angle and assets
- Assist with media and communications related to fundraising activities and events, including email and direct mail fundraising appeals, in collaboration with the Development department
The Communications Manager will be thoroughly committed to Climate Resolve’s mission. All candidates should have proven experience that includes:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in communication, journalism, environmental science, urban sustainability, or related field
- Commitment to, and embodiment of equity and inclusion principles
- At least three years of communications experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Experience in communications, public relations, and an ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Track record of effectively executing programs-related communications, i.e. be able to translate a project into a story
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of WordPress and CSS
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments, working well under pressure
- Ability to work effectively in a supportive, complementary, and collaborative fashion with diverse groups of people
- Important to be self-directed, flexible, and able to work under tight deadlines
- A congenial personality – can get along with others – and a sense of humor
- Master’s degree in communication, journalism, environmental science, urban sustainability, or related field
- Knowledge of climate and environmental communication best practices
- Understanding of political landscape and media market of Los Angeles and California
- Experience supervising and managing interns, volunteers, and paid staff
This is a Full-Time position (40 hrs/wk) with a matching 401K contribution between 3-7% based on time at organization, medical benefits, dental/vision stipend, professional development stipend, commuter benefits, and generous vacation / holiday time off. Salary offered is $70,000-$78,000 DOE.
A hybrid working arrangement is currently supported with two days a week in-person, an in-office station available, and the ability to work from home. Specific schedule will be determined with your manager.
How To Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume to Bryn Lindblad at email@example.com with the subject line “Full Name_Communications Manager” no later than January 30 at 5:00 pm PT. Complete applications will be considered on a rolling basis up until the stated deadline, with interviews starting as early as mid-January. We’re looking to hire ASAP in order to have someone on board by mid-February.
We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you! Thank you for your interest in Climate Resolve.
Equal Opportunity Policy
Climate Resolve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or characteristics or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. Therefore, we encourage all individuals to apply and are committed to a diverse workplace. Climate Resolve will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.