Coordinator of Community Organizing, CEM
POSITION: Coordinator of Community Organizing, CEM
STATUS: Full-time, Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: (Coordinator 1 level), $20-$26/hr. depending on experience
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Organizing
Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. Our mission is to empower the community of Boyle Heights through grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Our programs include the Guadalupe Homeless Project, an emergency shelter for men and senior aged women; IMPACTO, a youth development program for K-12 youth; Early Childhood Education Centers, focused on preparing children 18 months to 5 years old for kindergarten, and Comunidad en Movimiento (CEM), a civic engagement and leadership development program. Proyecto Pastoral also serves as the backbone organization for Promesa Boyle Heights, a cradle to career collaborative that is changing outcomes for neighborhood youth. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 6,000 children, youth, families and individuals annually.
Proyecto Pastoral seeks a highly motivated, independent and experienced organizer with a passion for working with communities of color to organize and build their power to bring about policy changes that improve their life and community. The organizer works under the general direction of the Director of Community Organizing to identify, plan and deploy strategic community building and organizing techniques that engage a broad range of community stakeholders to strengthen the voices and political influence of Boyle Heights residents regarding the justice issues they confront.
In addition to cultivating the leadership of CEM members, the Organizer will work to foster leadership development across the organization, including base building strategies among Proyecto’s programs and Boyle Heights residents, and community-driven policy efforts. The Coordinator will work with community leaders to identify initiatives and lead campaigns that are aligned to the organization’s mission and vision, strategic plan and to the needs of the community.
Strategic, Visioning, Leadership
- Support with the strategic vision and direction along with staff and leaders for building Proyectos organizing strategies focused on building power at the city level to win policy changes
- Work with CEM Director and Proyecto staff and leaders to identify and implement campaigns aligned with Proyectos mission, vision, and values
- Integrate community organizing with long-term, sustainable community-driven policy change efforts and integrate policy research and advocacy with grassroots organizing
- Support with development of and supervise resident leaders responsible for base building and leadership development work
- Prepare written reports, database updates, meeting summaries as needed
- Coach team members to increase their capacity and personal growth
- Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed
- Work with the development team to research, solicit, and develop proposals; and submit reports.
Base-Building and Leadership Development:
- Assist with recruitment, retain, and support ongoing leadership development of CEM leaders and members
- Work with leaders to provide ongoing coaching and support to conduct one-on-ones, research, meetings, town halls and/or mobilization efforts
- Build relationships with and co- lead coalition efforts with residents, partners and other (i.e. Dolores Mission, residents, partner organizations, public officials, local schools, businesses, etc.)
- Assist with managing multiple projects, and effectively build Proyecto’s campaigns
- Engage community members through outreach, leadership development, and capacity-building activities
- Develop materials for community outreach such as workshops, meetings and conferences
- Oversee the development and use of CEM’s outreach tools, leadership development curriculum, and campaign development resources
Organizational Leadership Development and Collaboration Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for Proyecto Pastoral and a strong commitment to its mission, including its community-building vision and founding Jesuit values
- Work with Proyecto directors, staff, and community leaders to identify emerging issues, strategies and campaigns that are responsive to both community needs and organizational priorities
- Be an active member of the organizing team by supporting staff leadership development, implementing organizational policies, and cross-program collaboration
- Participate in Proyecto Pastoral events and activities; including participation in the women’s conference planning committee and conference
- Collaborate with Promesa BH Organizing team and Dolores Mission leadership team (equipo)
Ideal candidates should hold the following qualifications and experience:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in community organizing and at least 3 years of supervisory experience in related field including education, labor, and/or legislative issue advocacy
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and develop skills among team members including residents
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including ability to facilitate and train
- Experience with base building, one-on-ones, town halls, leadership development, and mobilization
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, prioritize, maintain focus in face pace setting, and take initiative
- Self-starter with the ability to work remotely, independently, and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Knowledge of campaign and organizing tools and technology
- Strong analytical skills to do research related to issues on which the community is organizing
- Demonstrated passion for social justice, and comfortable working in a Catholic faith context
- Has a strong performance orientation and thinks strategically
- Demonstrated ability to write curricula, using a variety of adult teaching techniques including popular education
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends
- Licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet Proyecto’s minimum auto insurance requirements
- Must be bilingual English/Spanish with fluent conversational ability in Spanish
Must be able to carry out all essential functions satisfactorily; Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Approximately 50 percent of the time is spent sitting. However, it will frequently be required to walk, stand and bend. Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. Required to lift and/or move unassisted up to 25 pounds.
Status: Full-time, Exempt with excellent benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision, vacation, sick days, holidays, and 401k plan.
To Apply: Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Only emailed applications will be accepted, please indicate “Coordinator of Community Organizing Position” in the subject of the email.
Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org