Major Gifts Officer
Employment Type: Full-time, Exempt
Wage: A competitive annual salary of $70k – $85k base pay
Department: Philanthropy Department
Reports To: Senior Philanthropy Officer
Position Location: Bay Area or Los Angeles, California
Work Schedule: We have a hybrid schedule – two (2) days a week in office, and three (3) remote
Vaccine Policy: We require all staff to be fully vaccinated
Highly respected organizations, California Environmental Voters (EnviroVoters), and EnviroVoters Education Fund, are excited to launch a search for a Major Gifts Officer to join our dynamic, fun, and high-performing team!
Reporting to the Senior Philanthropy Officer, the position of Major Gifts Officer is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors and prospects to make gifts at a four- to six-figure level. This role is responsible for cold calling to secure meetings, representing the organization, developing individual cultivation and solicitation strategies, and working with volunteers to achieve the organization’s budgetary minimums and stretch goals. Prospects may come from individual, organizational, corporate, or private foundations.
This candidate will assist with EnviroVoters’s 5-year growth campaign to raise $32 million across its c4, c3, and PAC entities.
WHO WE ARE
We believe this moment requires transformative change. The climate crisis is here. And Black, Indigenous and people of color have been bearing the burden of our pollution-based economy for generations. We have the solutions to stop climate change, but we lack the political will to do it at the rate and scale that’s needed.
EnviroVoters exists to build the political will and power to solve the climate crisis, use climate action to advance justice, and create a global roadmap. To protect our water, land, air, and our most vulnerable communities, we organize voters, elect and train candidates, and hold lawmakers accountable for bold policy change.
Our vision is to build resilient, healthy, thriving communities, and create a democracy and economy that is just and sustainable for all.
EnviroVoters Education Fund, EnviroVoters’s 501(c)3 sister organization, works through programs focused on voter engagement and mobilization, issue advocacy, legislative accountability, and research and opinion polling to provide the public, policymakers, and environmental advocates with the resources they need to make California’s air, water, and natural resources cleaner and greener through the democratic process. For more information, please visit www.envirovotersedfund.org.
The work of EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Ed Fund to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social, and environmental justice. Engaging Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
OUR CORE VALUES
Relationships are at the heart of our culture and our core values enable us to build ones that are strong, trusting, empowering, and thriving. Therefore, in our everyday interactions with each other and our partners, we strive to act with Equity, Courage, Integrity, Compassion, Impact, and Learning.
WORK SCHEDULE AND VACCINE POLICY
A focus on relationships also informs our work schedule. We believe time together in person is critical to team building. To that end, we currently work two days a week in person with the possibility of increasing to three in the future. As such, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Major Gifts Officer is critical to our overall organizational success and will be responsible for prospect and donor identification, solicitation, stewardship, and engagement.
- Manage and develop a portfolio of up to approximately 250 current, lapsed and prospective donors, deepening relationships in person, virtually, over the phone, and in writing.
- Meet with donors and prospects across California. It is expected that the Major Gifts Officer will hold at least 100 donor visits annually. Engage donors and prospects at events and other venues as part of the cultivation process.
- Solicit gifts up to $100,000+ to reach EnviroVoters’ fundraising goals.
- Manage the existing Eco Power Caucus major donor membership program.
- Develop and support research, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for EnviroVoters major gift program and prospects assigned to board members and fundraising volunteers.
- Plan and execute regular donor cultivation events, house parties, and political briefings, working closely with Host Committee members, staff and board members, to execute.
- Provide stewardship and recognition of major donors.
- Write persuasive presentations and personalized emails, letters, reports and proposals to donors and prospects.
- Execute a call time program of solicitations and thank you’s to donors.
- Employ a “pipeline” system and “moves management” process to manage the progression of major gifts prospects towards solicitation.
- Represent EnviroVoters at external functions and events.
- Work collaboratively with philanthropy, communications, and program staff to develop compelling materials to maximize fundraising results.
- Ensure donor portfolio records are current with all necessary and pertinent information, and input contacts and actions into donor database as time permits.
- Work with development staff to ensure that pledges are documented, received, and stewarded appropriately.
- Assist in the execution of planned gifts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in fundraising and 4 years of work experience, with an emphasis as a frontline fundraiser.
- Experience in, or exposure to, major gift fundraising.
- A successful track record of closing new gifts.
- Demonstrated strength in relationship management. Ability to understand the needs and interests of major donors in order to develop relationships with them.
- Ability to cultivate, solicit and close gifts.
- Comfortable working independently and as a member of a larger team.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and handle complex tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to represent EnviroVoters in a variety of settings.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion as an organizational practice and culture.
- Professional and capable of handling confidential information with the utmost discretion.
- This position requires use of personal vehicle, a valid driver’s license, and proof of auto insurance to travel to donor meetings and occasional air travel.
- This position requires occasional evening and weekend work.
- Passionate, has desire, and highly motivated to do the work.
- Tenacity, persuasiveness, collegiality.
- A “can do” attitude.
- Ability to inspire and motivate donors.
- Politically savvy with an ability to connect with donors and prospects in a meaningful way.
- Passionate about protecting the environment, racial justice and equity, and meaningful social change.
- An eagerness for continued improvement and learning.
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in this highly respected organization. California Environmental Voters offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and disability coverage; a 401(k)-retirement program with employer match; flexible spending account (FSA) for health care expenses; commuter program; and optional life insurance.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) of this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimal levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at-will relationship.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Major Gifts Officer” to Apply Here. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
California Environmental Voters and the California Environmental Voters Education Fund are committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
$70k – $85k base pay
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.