Employment Type: Part-time, non-exempt
Wage: A competitive hourly range of $22/hour base pay with bonus pay according to a pre-approved bonus structure
Reports To: Development Manager, Annual Giving
Position Location: California, remote
Work Schedule: Remote flexible schedule, including weekends. You must work at least 20 hours per week to be eligible for benefits.
Vaccine Policy: We require all staff to be fully vaccinated
Highly respected organizations, California Environmental Voters, and the California Environmental Voters Education Fund, are excited to launch a search for a Membership Representative to join our dynamic, fun, and high-performing team!
We are looking for candidates with a track record of successful phone-based fundraising and educational outreach or applicable sales over the phone, preferably in the progressive environmental space. The ideal candidate will be a strong, independent self-starter ready to come up with creative ways to achieve the organization’s goals and eager to jump in and get the job done.
WHO WE ARE
We believe this moment requires transformative change.
The climate crisis is here. And Black, Indigenous and people of color have been bearing the burden of our pollution-based economy for generations. We have the solutions to stop climate change, but we lack the political will to do it at the rate and scale that’s needed.
California Environmental Voters (EnviroVoters) exists to build the political will and power to solve the climate crisis, use climate action to advance justice, and create a global roadmap. To protect our water, land, air, and our most vulnerable communities, we organize voters, elect and train candidates, and hold lawmakers accountable for bold policy change. Our vision is to build resilient, healthy, thriving communities, and create a democracy and economy that is just and sustainable for all.
California Environmental Voters Education Fund, EnviroVoters’s 501(c)3 sister organization, works through programs focused on voter engagement and mobilization, issue advocacy, legislative accountability, and research and opinion polling to provide the public, policymakers, and environmental advocates with the resources they need to make California’s air, water and natural resources cleaner and greener through the democratic process. For more information, please visit www.envirovotersedfund.org.
The work of EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Ed Fund to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social, and environmental justice. Engaging Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
OUR CORE VALUES
Relationships are at the heart of our culture and our core values enable us to build ones that are strong, trusting, empowering, and thriving. Therefore, in our everyday interactions with each other and our partners, we strive to act with Equity, Courage, Integrity, Compassion, Impact, and Learning.
WORK SCHEDULE AND VACCINE POLICY
A focus on relationships also informs our work schedule. We believe time together in person is critical to team building. To that end, we currently work two days a week in person with the possibility of increasing to three in the future. As such, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Membership Representatives are critical to our overall organizational success. This small but mighty team of two – you would be the third – enables us to continue to scale our rapidly growing infrastructure of staff and technology systems, and supports our high-impact political work like holding legislators accountable for advocating and passing progressive environmental policies
- Contact current California Environmental Voters members, lapsed members and prospects over the phone for the purposes of renewing membership and/or securing financial support.
- Provide stellar customer service and follow up with member requests, including mailing and emailing pledge forms, gift reminders, and solicitations and provide updates on California Environmental Voters’ work, as needed.
- Discretely handle and enter sensitive financial data into our fund-raising system, FiveCRM
- Communicate member needs to supervisor as needed
- Attend required bi-weekly department meetings and other meetings that may arise, which will help you to build strong relationships with your team and keep you informed of organization-wide activities and priorities
- In coordination with your supervisor, maintain a weekly work schedule where at least 50% of hours are worked between Monday – Thursday
- While we provide training and standard scripts for outreach, in collaboration with your manager, we encourage you to innovate and develop scripts that fit your outreach style
- One year of experience as a telephone fundraiser or other applicable sales over the phone
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Self-discipline – the ability to work independently and hold yourself accountable to hit weekly performance targets
- A quiet, dedicated place to conduct your work
- Resiliency – the ability to remain undeterred and motivated despite hearing “no” to your fundraising ask
- Experience working with sensitive data and other confidential information
- Working knowledge of Excel and Word
- Able to maintain clear and accurate record keeping
- Strong organizational skills
NICE to HAVES
- Interest in the environment, climate and/or elections; a passion for our mission
- Experience with fund raising platforms such as FiveCRM. While we are happy to provide training on the systems, we ask that you bring a willingness to learn and the ability to quickly become proficient in them
- Nonprofit work experience
- Enjoy synthesizing what can be complex environmental policy into a clear, concise, and compelling message
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in this highly respected organization. California Environmental Voters offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and disability coverage; a 401(k)-retirement program with employer match; flexible spending account (FSA) for health care expenses; commuter program; and optional life insurance. For this position health and paid time benefits will be on a 50% pro rata basis.
We are committed to equity, inclusion, and environmental justice. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we seek to create and sustain a team that reflects the diversity of the state we serve. We welcome applications from individuals from all backgrounds, especially those with experience working with communities most impacted by California’s environmental challenges.
$22/hour base pay with bonus pay
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.