Website amigosrios Amigos de los Rios
Natural Infrastructure Landscape Design & Project Management Fellow
Emerald Necklace Natural Infrastructure Landscape Design & Project Management Summer 2022 Paid Fellowship
Amigos de los Rios /The Emerald Necklace Group is a legacy 501(c) 3 non-profit environmental justice community based natural infrastructure design organization committed to planning and implementing convergent natural infrastructure projects for the benefit of residents of the Los Angeles Basin. This Landscape Scale Vision, entitled the ‘LA Basin Emerald Necklace’ protects biodiversity and integrates nature within the city. Our proposed ‘Mountains to the Sea’ interconnected watershed-scale system of multi-objective parks, green spaces, trails and green infrastructure school campuses stretch from the San Gabriel Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. The goal of these implementation projects is to protect and enhance ecosystem services whilst improving recreation opportunities and public health outcomes for urban residents.
Under the supervision of the Managing Director and in collaboration with our team of professional partners and key agency stakeholders – the Natural Infrastructure Landscape Design & Project Management Fellow will use their Design and Implementation Skills to support realization of key school and river green way transformation projects. You will need to help create and or update construction drawing sets, do detail design work, help research and procure materials and equipment as required for successful project implementation.
You will need to take precise site measurements as required in the field to answer detail design challenges as they arise during construction, to track design and construction process, be literate about project CAD topo surveys and Construction Drawings. Tasks will also include recording project process and progress with photography, video. You will use Adobe Creative Suite and CAD Drawing Skills to support multi benefit CD Set, project signage and project renderings. Design work includes site planning analysis, site design development to detailed Construction Drawings and interpretive element design as required for stakeholder consensus and permitting / jurisdiction approvals. Applicants MUST already possess a strong design eye and present a portfolio of designs indicating a high level of proficiency in urban planning and site level design and details.
The Emerald Necklace Team is dedicated and passionate about ‘nature based’ urban infrastructure, environmental justice, developing innovative nature-based recreation spaces, and expanding green space throughout LA County with a focus on underserved communities s. We’re searching for like-minded individuals with strong a work ethic and desire to take responsibility for creating positive changes to the built environment. This is a great opportunity for recent college graduates or entry- level professionals who are seeking experience in design, construction administration and implementation of key public projects. We have a sense of purpose and urgency to make change.
- Complete comprehensive site reconnaissance and ongoing detail observations: field notes, photography and reports – organized per Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, Adobe Illustrations, CD Set.
- Prepare design concept sketches; Design Development sketches and materials research, structure and detail work on Construction Drawing sets with iterations carefully archived.
- Assess Cost Benefit of different design alternatives, track cost estimates to implement proposed design to ensure we within grant budgets.
- Based on Design, write Scopes for professional partners to bid on participation in our projects; Survey, Civil, Structure Engineers, Irrigation Designers, Arborists, Artisans, Masons, hardscape, Contractors, Conservation Corps Members. Help manage these partners’ contracts and successful team participation.
- Establish and maintain effective project management processes to implement grants we are executing with excellent communications and working relationships with co-workers, project partners, and community and agency partners.
- Keep Project Management Records on a daily basis: Archive Relevant Daily Design related correspondence to partners, summary bullet and verbal reports to Managing Director – impeccable Project File management (Digital and Paper).
- Learn about and master tracking project budgets, preparing and monitoring sub contracts, insurance certificates and grant expenses as required for successful project implementation.
- Support to ensure we meet all green infrastructure and grant project goals and stipulations as required by grant contracts.
- Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Urban Planning Bachelors/Masters’ Degree, or equivalent Design experience / Passion for Community Based Design.
- Demonstrated high level proficiency in AutoCAD Architecture / Graphic Design Software: Adobe Creative Suite, ESRI ArcGIS.
- Excellent Demonstrated skills in design, writing and communication, Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Excel, Word, PPT).
- Impeccable organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines, working both independently and as an effective part of a team in a flexible manner.
- High Level Clerical Skill – ability to Record Keep Design records of design and implementation process = create grant report with – Attention to detail
- Knowledge of current principles of green infrastructure/landscape architecture/public space design including measured drawings, design development, construction drawings, permit drawings and maintenance care as builts.
- Interest in use of California Native Plants in public landscaping for water conservation and cultural heritage celebration; Knowledge of native plants, site requirements, efficient irrigation systems, plant disease, pest control, best practices for native plant maintenance and soil care.
- Current valid United States driver’s license/ Ability to lift 25-40 pounds.
- Superb Photography, ability to take short videos and immaculate meeting minute/ action item note taking skills.
We encourage all interested applicants to apply for this competitive fellowship position by emailing your Resume, Cover Letter, 3 References and Design Portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org and please CC: Claire Robinson, Managing Director Claire@amigosdelosrios.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com